Saturday, June 10, 2017

Archive Miniature Mystery Solved

Maybe nobody else cares, or maybe everyone already knew this but for me a mystery has been solved.  Back in 2012, I painted an Archive Fuzzy  from their Star Rovers line of miniatures.


At the time I wondered: "It's interesting because if you know anything about these minis, you'll know that many of them are rip-offs of Star Wars characters.  For example, "Hans Self" instead of Han Solo etc etc.  I always assumed that this one was supposed to be an Ewok, but if I'm not mistaken this figure actually dates to around 1977 and as far as I know Ewok's did not appear until Return of the Jedi in 1983. So I guess not."

Then today I saw a book cover illustration that cleared it all up.  This miniature was clearly based on the following illustration of H. Beam Piper's book, Little Fuzzy.



I love revelations like this one and just thought I would share it in case anyone else would get a kick out of it too.



2 comments:

  1. IIRC, the Little Fuzzies were kind of proto "Avatar" story: indigenous life forms at risk from humans, and their human protectors. It's been a long time since I read the book in high school. Cute little guy, anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a bunch of those miniatures when I was a kid! I just randomly remembered, googled, and your site was the top resultin the image search. Cheers for keeping the memory of these quirky miniatures alive!

    ReplyDelete