Friday, June 8, 2012

Doctor Who and an Ewok ?

I'm continuing to work on the FASA Doctor Who minis and I have completed the third doctor, Jon Pertwee.

The sculpt doesn't have a bow tie but it does have a cape, and based on that I felt like the Season Eight/Terror of the Autons costume would be most appropriate to base the colors on for this mini.
                                                       
This picture shows that costume and while the sculpt doesn't match it perfectly it seemed like the closest fit.  I have to admit I'm not as happy with this one as the last two.  Something about the face that I just couldn't get quite right.

I also painted one of the Fuzzies from Archive's Star Rovers Line.  It's interesting because if you know anything about these minis, you'll know that many of them are rip-offs of Star Wars characters.  For example, "Hans Self" instead of Han Solo etc etc.  I always assumed that this one was supposed to be an Ewok, but if I'm not mistaken this figure actually dates to around 1977 and as far as I know Ewok's did not appear until Return of the Jedi in 1983. So I guess not.


  I painted this guy up pretty quickly but I think he turned out okay.  He is very small.  I've painted 15mm miniatures bigger than he is.  You can get some idea of how small he is in this picture with the good doctor:



Should be lots more miniature goodness coming up this summer.  I've got an Asgard figure in progress, the remaining two FASA Doctor Who figures and I just picked up a bunch of Grenadier minis as well.  Stay Tuned.

5 comments:

  1. Yay! I just started watching the classic Pertwee six-parter The Sea Devils last night! Great colors on the clothes, as with the Troughton fig the personality comes across quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very good painting!
    I like both: the Doctor is well done and the "ewok" is so nice!
    (very small? I'll come back here very soon to show you something VERY small!.....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha. Well, small for a 25-28mm scale miniature. Thanks though, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you call very small. 6mm?

    ReplyDelete