Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Archive Wink Dog

So here is Archive's "Wink Dog" painted in some slightly wacky colors.

For reasons I can't explain, the first time I saw this mini I wanted to paint it purple and pink.  There's a lovable goofiness about this piece that just made me want to go with that color scheme.  


I painted it with these colors despite the fact that I'm assuming this was supposed to represent a Blink Dog from Dungeons and Dragons.  In fact, I didn't realize it at first but the pose is very similar to Tom Wham's illustration of the Blink Dog from the first edition Monster Manual.

I love that they added a horn and a row of spines on his back, turning this into another creature entirely.  I'm  more likely to use this in a game of Gamma World than D&D.  Even if I had gone for a naturalistic color scheme I probably would have shot for something reptilian rather than anything like a dog.  
Thanks for visiting.

1 comment:

  1. Cute little guy, the Blink Dog is one of my favorite original MM creatures, because of its simplicity and its goofiness! Nicely done, unique colors.

    ReplyDelete